Complete Guide to Ohio Summer Classical Music Festivals
As summer music festival season gets into full swing, here’s a roundup of what to look forward to at classical music festivals and summer concert series around the state this summer.
Which festivals are you looking forward to? Leave a comment and let us know which performances you’ll be attending!
Blossom Festival (Cleveland Orchestra)
When: June 2 – September 10
What: Each year the Cleveland Orchestra gives a series of concerts at the Blossom Music Center’s outdoor amphitheater, where families can enjoy a variety of classical repertoire each weekend.
Where: Blossom Music Center (map)
- July 23 - Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 3 (Jon Kimura Parker, piano)
- July 30 – From Russia with Love (including Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto with Christian Tetzlaff, violin)
- August 20/21 – The Joffrey Ballet (including Balanchine’s Stravinsky Violin Concerto)
- August 28 – On The Town (includes a selection of Three Dance Episodes from Bernstein’s On the Town and Weber’s Clarinet Concerto No. 2 with
Franklin Cohen, Clarinet)
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket information can be found on the festival website or by calling 216-231-1111. Children 17 and under admitted free to the lawn – full details in festival brochure (pdf)
Cincinnati Opera Summer Festival
When: June 16 – July 31
What: This years Cincinnati Opera summer festival is offering nine live opera performances at Cincinnati’s Music Hall.
Where: Cincinnati Music Hall (map)
- June 16/18 – Verdi’s Rigoletto
- June 30/July 2 – Adams’ A Flowering Tree
- July 14/16 – Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin
- July 27/29/31 – Mozart’s The Magic Flute
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket information on the Cincinnati Opera’s website or call 513.241.2742.
Columbus Symphony Picnic with the Pops
When: June 18 – July 30
What: Each year the Columbus Symphony Pops performs pop/jazz music concerts on the lawn of the Chemical Abstracts Service (the series moves to Columbus Commons starting in 2012).
Where: Chemical Abstracts Lawn (map)
This year’s performances with the Columbus Symphony include:
- June 25 – The Music of Michael Jackson conducted by Brent Havens
- July 2 – Patriotic Pops (including Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue)
- July 23 – The Spinners
- July 29/30 – The Ohio State University Marching Band
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket information can be found on the festival website or by calling 614-228-8600.
Ohio Light Opera
When: June 18 – August 13
What: This summer, Ohio Light Opera’s 2011 summer festival offers several new shows and some returning by popular demand.
Where: Freelander Theatre (map)
- Cole Porter’s Jubilee
- Victor Herbert’s The Fortune Teller
- Leo Fall’s Madame Pompadour
- Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Pirates of Penzance
- Franz Lehár’s The Merry Widow
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket information on the Ohio Light Opera website or call 330.263.2345.
Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
When: June 25 – August 6
What: Each year the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra puts on a series of shows at Riverbend Music Center.
Where: Riverbend Music Center (map)
- June 25 – Idina Menzel, the Tony award-winning “Elphaba” from Wicked, performs with the Pops
- July 4 – Red White & Boom
- August 6 – Hallelujah Broadway with the May Festival Chorus
When: July 21 – 30
What: Since 1985, the Lancaster Festival has been offering a 10-day event that includes a wide range of musical performances and family activities.
Where: Ohio University-Lancaster Campus (map)
Classical 101′s Christopher Purdy is hosting a Café Concert at Shaw’s Inn July 25 and an Opera Concert July 27. Keep an eye on the festival’s website for more details about the performance schedule.
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket information can be found on the festival website or by calling 740-653-8700.